Monday, November 29, 2010

It's Complicated but not really



I am not one to fall for frantic Christmas catch-phrases like "Black Friday".  In fact, the very idea of waking up at 3:00 am after Thanksgiving, is mind boggling.  That is my idea of fresh HELL on Earth!  There is just nothing I want that badly EVER!  Less is always More in my book, especially on Christmas Morning.   Now Cyber Monday is a little more appealing- no crowds, in my P.J.s, with a cup of java!  However, am I supporting the very thing I hate?! Yes and No.   Today, I had an email from one of my favorite online stores, that is sadly going out of business.  I know that because I had gotten an earlier email, a few weeks prior.  As you may or may not know, I am in retail.  To see this particular company not "make" it, hits hard with me.  They embrace handmade and their site is just a visual feast.  I worry about the future of mom and pop shops, artists, and true trades.   I worry that Americans are becoming disconnected with their possessions, their food, and ultimately their life.  I worry that Americans are becoming monotonous,  homogenized Homo sapiens.  No, everyone doesn't have to sit around pondering this, with their hand-made mug, filled with coffee, sent from a favorite coffee hole and former hometown, and a splash of organic milk.  Yet, if we were, I think we would be in a better place as individuals and as a country.  Time for another cup.

1 comment:

  1. It's nuts. A lot of people wake up super early and wait in line for deals they could get online. A lot of it has to do with people being excited to save money. People feel good when they get a deal.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete