Friday, June 5, 2009

Local Color




This sight was parked outside of Firefly today, and it made me smile.  It made my grin a little wider knowing  what I know.  What I know is that this umbrella, along with about three others, used to sit outside of our local pool hall that serves about a thousand chili dogs a day.  It is a local institution.  The pool hall is painted Oscar Mayer orange, and if they actually used Oscar Mayer hotdogs that would be a good thing; I say that with love in my heart and hundreds of chili dogs in my gut, I do.  I know that the original owner, Joe thought these rainbow umbrellas were perfect and matched his freshly painted Oscar Mayer orange building to the tee.  What I don't think the "average joe" knows that to many the rainbow represents gay pride, and I certainly was not going to point out the symbolism because I loved it.   It was so bad it was good.  So I have been chuckling and smiling to myself for the last year or so on how opened minded our little local pool hall was and they didn't even know it.  Anyway, the pool hall recently changed hands, and  the new owner would not care if you were pink, purple,black,white, straight or gay, but he did realized that the rainbow umbrellas clashed just a little bit.  So he has obviously given them away to his loyal patrons and here it is being put to good use.  I love it.  Now I just wish that I would have grabbed my camera a little earlier, and embarrassed myself completely, by asking the twin sisters, southern californian beauties, sitting on the bench, texting their sister, who was in my store, to pose.  Who needs fiction when you have local color !

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting those common sights that we take for granted, but that which make Thomasville so colorful!

    ReplyDelete