Tuesday, January 19, 2010

On the same page?



I like to think that the Hubby and I are on the same page for the most part. Yet, we are clearly experiencing a huge disconnect, in the food that comes in our household. This past weekend, he went to Walmart to buy hanging supplies for a house project. He came home with hanging supplies, Nacho Doritos, Chex Mix, guava pineapple sugar crap juice, yogurt smoothies, and for the first time ever in the raising of our children, processed Kraft American cheese - those individually packaged slices! What the hell? Really?! Really. Are you trying to get my goat? Well, I refrained from saying anything. Seriously, I refrained. Freaking out was not an option. Seriously, scratching my head was. How long have we been married? How long have our boys been drinking organic milk? Yes, since they got off the tit at 14 months. How long have we been eating organic vegetables, meat, and yogurt. Did you look at the folks in Wal-mart? Did their voluptuousness inspire you to buy crap? I clearly didn't get it. He clearly doesn't either. Clearly. I just thought we were farther along than we apparently are. My bed time reading material has not registered- EVER. Clearly. My current reading material/bible is Nourishing Traditions, which is hard core stuff, but right on. Yes, it is available at Firefly and should be required reading for all parents. Yes, by the time you read this, I will have donated a copy to our library. Apparently none of my bedtime reading has. Clearly. Ina Garten, Jamie Oliver, Chef Bobo, Alice Waters have been singing and preaching to the choir- moi and only moi. Now, I am not a food nazi, because I don't want my boys to become food freaks or afraid to put anything in their mouth. I will be afraid for them and therefore, try to provide healthy food. I need my partner to be on board with that. If it comes out of a box or package then it is probably crap. I know that, so that food is limited. Fruits, nuts, vegetables, dairy (limited), and meat. Organic. Simple. Yes, it is more expensive, but so is obesity, cancer, heart disease, and hospitals. I like to think of it as preventive medicine. I like to think that it is common sense. We are so removed from our food that it is frightening. Clearly. Next time my husband needs a nail, he is going to Tru-Value or Lowe's. Clearly. Stayed tuned for more...I'm just getting started. Clearly!

1 comment:

  1. Nan, how refreshing! Don't hesitate to encourage your hubby to patronize a real hardware or home supply store...keep them in business and leave plastic cheese and polyester clothes to the less concerned.

    I was raised (well, all four of us were) the same way, mommy and daddy baked our bread, we ate veggies, berries and fruit from our gardens, even made rosewater from our rose gardens. It was a magic way to grow up, and definitely made a difference in our lives.

    ReplyDelete