Monday, January 18, 2010

Doing the right thing


I think it is fair to say, that Haiti has been heavy on lots of hearts and minds lately. I know it has been on mine. I hope it makes everyone realize how fortunate we are and how lucky we are to live in such a rich country. It also reminds me of Hurricane Katrina and the folks up and down the Louisiana and Mississippi coastline, and what I recall, as a slow response from our government. In fairness, the death toll of Hurricane Katrina was 1,723, whereas, Haiti could be as high as 200,000. Yet Life is Life, and I do wish our government had responded with a little bit more gusto. I wished I had too. It is very easy to become "dehumanized" when we see the horror of natural disasters. I think it is a natural, defensive response to kind of shut down emotionally. Natural Disasters put everyone on the same page, and that can be a hard pill to swallow. It is also easy to turn off the idiot box and forget about it. Anyway, I don't mean to get on a soap box, but I do hope everyone realizes that they can give monetarily and should. It's called doing the right thing. My sons have given me their saved money. They are seven and nine. They get it. I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment