Sunday, August 23, 2009

Scotland, August 2009






What I loved about Scotland was it's pristine, natural beauty and the fact that it was undisturbed by man.  The views were amazing and all I could think was if this was America, it would have been trashed by development after development, billboard after billboard, fast-food chain after fast-food chain.  The Scottish people "get it".    It seems like we Americans are always spinning our wheels,  consume, consume, consume, which is just such a waste, waste, waste. I think a lot of Americans were consumed with creating this allusion of wealth, which in turn would create social status, which in turn would make us happy.  When in actuality, nothing could be more false- false wealth, false friends, false happiness.     I think the recession  with all it's bad has caused good, in an awareness of less is more and what is truly important. I think the economic downturn was inevitable; The country was up to its eyeballs in EXCESS, and yes, I wanted to say a four letter word.   It's not the new car, the characterless 5,000+ house, the media room;  It is the "slowing down" and going on a bike ride with your children, preparing a good meal, hanging on the porch with your neighbors.  It's about quality not quantity.  Luckily, I have never aspired to the big new house, or new cars.  I think the television is an idiot box, as my mom likes to call them.  After living beyond my means,  I sincerely appreciate living  within my means and living with a peace of mind.  Alright, that was a digression.  So much for just a pictorial diary of Scotland.   Anyway,  Scotland was lovely.  Literally very "green" and they live "green" too,  without even trying.  It's not a trend there, it's a way of life.  America is young and we are still growing up, and we'll get there too, especially if we can remember the valuable lessons that this recession has taught us.  If we can also remember as  individuals  that pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered that wouldn't hurt either.  Too much is just too much.  
 
The last three pictures of this series were literally taken outside of our backdoor and the view was literally 180.  Amazing.  The next couple of posts will be more pictures of Scotland, hopefully without me getting on a "soapbox", but I can't make any promises.  Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment